Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
PrEP is a way for people who do not have HIV to prevent getting it by taking a daily pill. Along with other prevention methods like condoms, PrEP can offer good protection against HIV if taken every day.
At The DOCK we offer PrEP Talks – a free one-on-one appointment to talk with a PrEP Navigator about this medication to prevent HIV. This service is open to the public, for anyone who’d like to talk in depth about PrEP, get their questions answered, and get the facts.
PrEP is a medication that must be prescribed by a doctor. Prior to speaking to a medical provider, a PrEP Talk can answer your basic questions and provide the knowledge you need to decide your next step.
Take advantage of this free service by booking an appointment today.
The CDC recommends PrEP be considered for people who are HIV-negative and at ongoing substantial risk for HIV infection. This includes anyone who:
- Is in an ongoing relationship with an HIV-infected partner;
- Is not in a mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who recently tested HIV-negative; and is a
- gay or bisexual man who has had sex without a condom or been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection within the past six months;
- heterosexual man or woman who does not regularly use condoms when having sex with partners known to be at risk for HIV (e.g., injecting drug users or bisexual male partners of unknown HIV status); or
- Has, within the past six months, injected illicit drugs and shared equipment or been in a treatment program for injection drug use.
To confirm if PrEP is right for you, set an appointment with a provider at The DOCK who can prescribe PrEP medication. Your provider will also coordinate repeat HIV tests, prescription refills, and other needed follow-up.
For more information, please visit the U.S. National Library of Medicine at https://aids.nlm.nih.gov/topic/2153/prep-navigation-resources
Hours for All Services
Monday-Tuesday 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (Closed for lunch from 2 – 3 p.m.)
Wednesday – Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Closed for lunch from 12 – 1 p.m.)
Walk-in, No Appointment Necessary
For an appointment, call 760-992-0492