The DOCK sexual health clinic provides comprehensive healthcare services, information and support to take charge of your sexual health. Our quick, caring, and confidential services for individuals of all gender identities include:
- STD Testing & Treatment
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) & Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
- Free HIV Oral Rapid Testing
- Hepatitis Testing & Treatment
STD Testing & Treatment
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are common and the rates in the Coachella Valley are high. You can have an STD without knowing it. In many cases, there are no signs or symptoms. Here at The DOCK, we’re ready to assist you quickly and confidentially with the information, testing and treatment you need for STDs including Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C (HCV), HIV, Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), and Syphilis. Click here for detailed information about STD Testing & Treatment.
PrEP & PEP Education and Treatment
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
PrEP is a way for people who do not have HIV to prevent getting it by taking a daily pill. Along with other prevention methods like condoms, PrEP can offer good protection against HIV if taken every day.
At The DOCK we offer PrEP Talk – a free one-on-one appointment to talk with an Early Intervention Specialist about this medication to prevent HIV. This service is open to the public, for anyone who’d like to talk in depth about PrEP, get their questions answered, and get the facts.
PrEP is a medication that must be prescribed by a doctor. Prior to speaking to a medical provider, a PrEP Talk can answer your basic questions and provide the knowledge you need to decide your next step.
Take advantage of this free service by booking an appointment today.
Call 760-992-0492 to schedule an appointment with a PrEP Navigator. Please note, this is not a medical appointment.
The CDC recommends PrEP be considered for people who are HIV-negative and at ongoing substantial risk for HIV infection. This includes anyone who:
- Is in an ongoing relationship with an HIV-infected partner;
- Is not in a mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who recently tested HIV-negative; and is a
- gay or bisexual man who has had sex without a condom or been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection within the past six months;
- heterosexual man or woman who does not regularly use condoms when having sex with partners known to be at risk for HIV (e.g., injecting drug users or bisexual male partners of unknown HIV status); or
- Has, within the past six months, injected illicit drugs and shared equipment or been in a treatment program for injection drug use.
To confirm if PrEP is right for you, set an appointment with a provider at The DOCK who can prescribe PrEP medication. Your provider will also coordinate repeat HIV tests, prescription refills, and other needed follow-up.
Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
The DOCK offers education and referral for treatment for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis, or PEP –a preventive medical treatment started immediately after exposure to HIV to prevent infection.
PEP is used for anyone who may have been exposed to HIV during a single high-risk event of potential HIV exposure—such as sex without a condom, needle-sharing injection drug use, or sexual assault.
To be effective, PEP must begin within 72 hours of exposure, before the virus has time to make too many copies of itself in your body.
PEP consists of 2-3 antiretroviral medications and should be taken for 28 days. Your provider will determine what treatment is right for you based on how you were exposed to HIV.
Free HIV Oral Rapid Testing
HIV Testing – Free and Confidential for Individuals and Couples
Getting an HIV test is the only way to know if you have HIV. The CDC recommends that all adolescents and adults get tested for HIV at least once in their lifetime. It’s estimated that one in eight people in the United States who have HIV do not know they are infected.
At The DOCK, you can schedule an appointment or walk-in Monday through Friday from 10 AM-6:30 PM for a free and confidential HIV rapid test. Call 760-992-0492 for an appointment.
A rapid HIV test is quick, simple, and painless. There’s no blood involved. The rapid test is an oral swab that you run over your upper and lower gums for a few seconds. The swab is then placed in a special solution and 20 minutes later, you get the results.
Our knowledgeable, experienced, certified HIV Test Counselors will conduct the test and can answer your questions in a confidential setting. Whether your results are negative or positive, they can provide information and referrals to help you to stay safe and stay healthy.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you should definitely get an HIV test:
- Have you had unprotected sex (sex without a condom)—anal, vaginal, or oral—with men who have sex with men or with multiple partners since your last HIV test?
- Have you injected drugs (including steroids, hormones, or silicone) and shared equipment (or works, such as needles and syringes) with others?
- Have you exchanged sex for drugs or money?
- Have you been diagnosed with or sought treatment for a sexually transmitted infection (STI), like syphilis?
- Have you been diagnosed with or sought treatment for hepatitis or tuberculosis (TB)?
- Have you had unprotected sex with someone who could answer yes to any of the above questions or someone whose history you don’t know?
If you have unsafe sex or share injection drug equipment, you should get tested at least once a year. Sexually active gay and bisexual men may benefit from more frequent testing (e.g., every 3 to 6 months).
You should also get tested if
- You have been sexually assaulted.
- You are a woman who is planning to get pregnant or who is pregnant.
Hepatitis Testing & Treatment
Located at D.A.P.’s main campus in Palm Springs, the Hepatitis Center of Excellence delivers comprehensive, state-of-the art expertise to manage, support and cure those afflicted with Hepatitis.
Services include non-invasive diagnostic testing and staging, improved access to curative treatments, and compassionate support for the many complex issues associated with a Hepatitis diagnosis. Call 760-992-0426 to schedule an appointment.